SL Year 2018 in Review
- AUTHOR: Achille Sime
Coral Gables, December 23, 2018 – SL FINANCIAL an actuarial consulting and advisory firm based in Miami, Florida. We offer complete actuarial solutions in both traditional (re)insurance and alternative risk financing industries.
Looking back at 2018, its events and circumstances have been varied and challenging. Navigating in a very competitive marketplace, we stayed the course and made some progress in the following areas:
- Market Presence – Our firm was represented at the following events: World Captive Forum, FAIR Annual Industry Conference, FHCF Annual Participating Insurers Workshop and Florida Office of Insurance Regulation Summit (which was postponed to January 2019 following the aftermath of hurricane Michael).
- Innovation – Our firm conducted researches on the needs of the insurance industry in emerging markets and, as a result, is developing a technology-based analytical platform that aims at providing data quality and integrity to the industry (see SL To Transform Emerging Markets Insurance Industry).
- Diversification – Our firm managed to diversify into new regions (namely, Africa and the Caribbean) and new services (namely, Catastrophe Modeling):
- In March 2018, we attended the Africa CEO Forum in Cote d’Ivoire and eventually gained new clients or projects in Africa.
- In September 2018, we made progress in public sector space by winning our first RFP bid to assist state insurance regulators with actuarial services for risk-focused financial examination of insurance companies within their jurisdictions.
- In December 2018, we assisted the Bermuda reinsurance industry during a challenging renewal season. In particular, we demonstrated our expertise in running the most popular commercial catastrophe models for our clients (i.e. AIR and RMS), while also performing actuarial pricing of catastrophe and aggregate excess of loss reinsurance treaties.
Overall, SL FINANCIAL improved its market presence in both Florida and Africa & Caribbean, diversified services offerings to include catastrophe risk management while fostering innovation in area of InsurTech. We look forward to 2019 with hope to remain as closed to our clients while adding value and providing tailored services to fit their unique needs.